baobaobebe

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Labor

Arthur Tianqi Yang was born at 7pm on Jan. 27th, 2009. Weight: 8 lb 4.8 oz. Length: 21 3/4 inches. Head circumference: 15 inch.

I was 10 cm dilated by 6:15 pm yesterday so Dr. Austin and Nurse Jody told me to start pushing. I worked really hard on the pushing for 40 minutes. Everyone could see the baby's head, but it just wouldn't come out. As a matter of fact, I worked so hard on it that I started vomiting like a fountain. Oxygen was applied to me immediately. Then I saw Dr. Austin gave me two snippets with a pair of scissors. My heart sank and I felt so desperate. Being cut was one of the worst memories from the first labor.

Before I knew it, the nurse put the baby on my chest and he felt so slimy. Arnold witnessed the whole process but didn't show too much interest in his brother at all. Biajee was holding him all the time so he didn't get any pictures of the new baby last night.

I was shivering with cold and starving afterwards, but I wanted to try nursing first. To our surprise, Arthur wouldn't latch on at all. Finally I gave up and had Biajee put him in the basket and the three of us started eating dinner. I couldn't fit anything down because of the pain.

Arthur slept in the nursery last night. He was fed Enfamil formula at 10 pm, 1 am and 5 am. Then I nursed him this morning around 8:30. He started to learn how to suck in the end. Dr. Cavannaugh just took him away for circumcision. She said they'd be back in 30 minutes and she'll put a ring on Arthur's pennis, which will fall off in about a week. We cannot give him a tub bath till both the ring and the cord fall off. Sponge bath only for the newborn.

Dr. Austin finally prescribed me some Ibuprofen and Tylenol with Codin to replace the pain killer I had been taking. I was feeling dizzy, sick and upside down all the time. The contraction is still there and then there are the sewn wounds. "Contraction is good," Dr. A said, "If you don't have contraction, you'll be bleeding a lot."

We have a new life in our family now, who is pink, ugly and all wrinkled up.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yahoo! Congrats to you!! Huge hugs
    Laura, Steven and Kevin.

     
  • At 4:45 PM, Blogger Di said…

    congratulations

     
  • At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations!

     
  • At 6:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Congratulations! Take care!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home