baobaobebe

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Annual Physical Check

I went to see Dr. Richard for annual physical check yesterday. It was a simple process, mostly conversational.

"I have always been tired after labor. Is that normal?"

"Oh yeah, totally. It'll last for at least 18 years after your kid goes to college."

“I have been having optical migraines before, during and after pregnancy. Each time it’ll last for 10 to 15 minutes. How should we treat that?”

“Pei, the cause of that is that sometimes your blood vessels suddenly shrink to be thinner. I don’t think we need to treat that. If your blood vessels shrink to clog, you would have a stroke. Any medication we have will take 30 minutes to take effect. By that time, your symptoms are already gone.”

"My Chinese friend told me not to exercise for 3 months after labor because the loosen joints and bones will be hurt and cannot go back. Is that right?"

"That's mostly correct. But some suitable level of exercises can actually help you recover quicker. For example, you can do 3 situps every day this month, 6 situps every day next month and maybe 100 situps every day in a year. If you over do it, it'll hurt your body, muscles and system. If you have backache, situps can help. But do the revised crunches instead of full situps. Full situps could hurt your belly muscles and prevent them from going back to original shape. So you can exercise now, just don't do any strenuous things. If you used to run 5 miles per day, try one mile now."

And so on and so on. It's always good to have a 2nd opinion, especially from a doctor. Then my blood got drawn for chlesterol test. Nurse Peggy tried 3 times on my arms and could not poke my veins. Heavens! I thought I had the easiest veins than 90% of the population. Fortunately, she called another nurse for help and ended my suffering swiftly.

It's the first time in my life to have an annual physical check. It is actually recommended by doctors in this country. My goal is to live and see my grandchildren graduate from college. Then I can die peacefully.

An interesting fact is: if a person has a heart attack when he is young, it usually hurts so much that he'd wish himself dead. However, if a person has a heart attack after he is 60, it doesn't hurt that badly and he may die peacefully without knowing anything...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home