baobaobebe

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Art of Talking to Boss






Seek every opportunity to have fun. My company participated in Bowling for Junior Achievement this Friday afternoon from 2:00 pm to 4:30 pm. I found a way to sign on a bowling team last week. Everyone will have to raise $75 to be able to bowl. Our team lead Gwen is nice enough to have me bowl without raising money. The issue became how to get my boss approve it for me to go bowling, eating pizza and drinking beer (I can't drink) for 2.5 hours on a Friday afternoon.

First, pick a time when the boss is in a good mood. Second, walk into boss' office with coworker Kyle because we are going together and our boss will be the only one who is working that afternoon.

"Hi, how are you doing?" I usually open both my eyes and mouth widely with a fake smile when I try to get something from a supervisor.

"Great."

"We have something to tell you. Do you want the good news or the bad news first?" Kyle began.

"Bad news."

"Well, Pei and I have signed up for Junior Achievement's bowling team next Friday. It'll be from 2 to 4:30 pm. Can we go?"

"Ron, I know we need someone in the office, but the company supports Junior Achievement activities. Merchandising needs to be part of it as well. And I already paid $42 for the bowling shirt."

"You bought the shirt before you asked me?" He was a bit upset, but still smiling.

"I had intended to ask you first, but Kyle told me to just order it. I can always sell it on eBay if you say NO." (That's not quite true, because the bowling shirt has my name embroidered on it. How many people would like to bid for a shirt with Pei on the chest?)

"Well, I guess if you guys come in the Saturday afterwards to make up for the work, I could let you go. Just take my approval right now. In case there is any emergency coming up, we may have to change plans."

"No problem, we'll be in Saturday." We said discreetly and were about to sneak out of his office.

"What is the good news?"

"We're healthy people."

He chuckled. We were lucky that we got out of there in a whole piece. Not only do we have to work this coming weekend, but we also worked last Saturday as well and that was Chinese New Year's Eve. We really earned the bowling fun.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:58 PM, Blogger Jiang Xiao said…

    Wha if your boss wants the good news first?

     
  • At 8:24 AM, Blogger baobaobebe said…

    Either He is the best boss in human history or We are coming in to work the next Saturday.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home