baobaobebe

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Circumcision







I took Arnold to this procedure last Friday. I'm still shriveling when thinking of the whole process. Biajee didn't go with us. The doctors and nurses at the hospital thought I was a single parent. All the children there were accompanied by both parents.

Another mother told me that her son had to have it done twice because it grew out again after the first surgery or it wasn't symmetric. How terrible! I already regretted it the minute I entered the waiting room. If I were to choose ever again, I would never have my son go through this surgery at all.

Arnold got numbed up by breathing in some gas and then being injected a similar drug as epidural into his lower sphine. His face was covered with oxygen mask. I didn't get to witness any of these at all. I don't think I could stand it anyway. My heart was almost broken when the nurse took him away from my arms. The surgery took less than an hour. He woke up 10 minutes after it, feeling nothing and in high spirit. He didn't have anything to eat or drink since 6 am. The surgery was scheduled at 9 am, but Dr. Furness was about 15 minutes late.

We couldn't use baby wipe for about 14 days and would have to take off his bandage in four days. We're applying ointment 2-3 times on him these days. We scheduled a 6 week follow up check on this circumcision. Dr. F said it would completely heal in 3 months.

Arnold was able to hold his own milk bottle now. It usually took us a while to figure out that he was sleepy instead of hungry. He would cry, close his eyes and suck on his fist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home