baobaobebe

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Kyoto - Japan Trip Day 8 (Feb. 23rd, 2008)











Kyoto was certainly the highlight of our trip. Il was able to help carrying Arnold's diaper bag for the whole day so that Biajee didn't have to be that tired any more.

We took JR to reach Kyoto. By the time we got off the train, it was over 10 am and drizzling. We had to decide where to go in Kyoto because it had so many points interests that could entertain us for a whole week. Il and Biajee picked three shrines from the map that charged fat entrance fees and were packed with tourists. I told them I wanted to go to Inari to see the God of Rice months ago. Neither of them would take my idea seriously. Men can be stubborn animals from time to time.

We took pictures at the Kinkakuji where the pavilion was patched with real 24K gold. We sat in front of the stones in Ryoanji trying to figure out the zen in life - it is said you'd be a master of zen and life if you stare at them long enough. I didn't convert my soul successfully because it was just too cold for me to take my shoes off. After we finished Ninnaji Temple, it started snowing and was quite cold.

Il suggested that we walk to a JR station and of course we were on the wrong track. We wouldn't mind walking for the whole day at all if we were without Arnold, but holding Arnold while hiking was quite a challenge.

Finally Biajee decided that we should get off at Inari to visit the Fushimi Inari Shrine I laid my eyes on months ago. It ended up to have no entrance fee and was the best shrine we ever saw in Japan. Inari is the Shinto God of rice and foxes were his messengers. Statues of foxes were seen all over the shrine. The most famous and impressive part of the Fushimi Inari shrine is the thousands of torri gates lining up the mountains. It's a 2 hour hiking trail along the mountain. All these gates were donated by different people and organizations.

It was almost dark when we started the trail. Wind and snow started to fall. We had to abort the idea of hiking the Inarisan mountain. Of course I was a bit upset.

"It's all your fault." I said to Biajee. Biajee made a face to me.

"It's all your fault." I said to Il. "I didn't say anything." Il said innocently.

We'll have to come back at another time to hiking the mountain. There are lots of shrines and waterfalls along the trail. Fox Udon is also served at small restaurants along the hiking trail. I was pretty sure everything was closed by the time we got there. If only we had come here directly when we arrived in Kyoto!

Based on all my visits to Japan in the past 15 years, Fushimi Inari Shrine is the best shrine you could ever imagine. If you decide to stop by Kyoto, definitely pay a visit there. We strongly encouraged Il to donate a Japanese yen and make a wish to the Shinto God, who is supposed to be quite responsive. Il didn't take it too seriously. He may have forgot what he had wished for when he presented the yen to the God.

We then went back to Kyoto station and had the most expensive and veggie dinner for the trip. Biajee chose the restaurant so he ended up paying for everyone. But that didn't wipe away our lusting for good food. We only have so many counted meals that we could devour in Japan, yet he didn't pick out the right place for us.

I finally got over my jet lag, but it'd be time to go back to the US the next day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home