baobaobebe

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Junior Achievement

I survived.

Nobody threw bad eggs or rotten tomatoes at me today. Nobody drooled or cried. I should thank my lucky stars for everything I went through and everything I learned.

Junior Achievement is a non-profit organization that uses hands-on experiences to help young people understand the economics of life. In partnership with business and educators, Junior Achievement brings the real world to students, opening their minds to their potential. Today I was a volunteer and I taught 17 kindergarten and preschool kids.

The class I taught was actually a Montessori kindergarten, although it is part of Mesa Elementary School. Every student had to say the Pledge of Allegiance before the day starts:“I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”Followed by that, they said something about the diversity of the school and how they should respect each other and treat each other as they want to be treated. I was totally impressed with all this. We never did that when we were kindergarteners in China.

They're all brilliant children from 3 to 5 years old. They already understand the difference between an oval and an ellipse, which most adults don't even know. They count, add things together and play with different geometric shapes. I'm so relieved to see that Arnold will be in one of the similar classes in 3 years.

It was a thrilling experience. I'm going to volunteer again next year, maybe for 5th graders to see how different that is or how easy it is to catch a kid's attention. One thing for sure: children today have a lot more to enjoy than when we were that age.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home